Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatball "Stoup"

This is a Rachel Ray recipe that I have modified to fit our family.  It is one of her 30 minutes meals...of course it takes me a little longer that but is still an easy weeknight meal.  The name "stoup" is because it is thicker than soup, but thinner than stew.  It is hearty, full of flavor and makes enough for leftovers.

2 Tbsp Olive Oil, two turns of the pan
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
1 Medium Yellow Onion, chopped - I leave this out for JT
3+ Garlic Cloves, I always add extra cuz we LOVE it!
(Note: I chop all the veggies ahead of time to save me the headache when I am making dinner.)
1 Large Can of Tomato Sauce (3 cups, give or take)
4-5 C Chicken Stock
1 Lb Ground Turkey, or what ever meat you like
1/2 C Grated Parmesan
1/2 C Italian Breadcrumbs, I use Panko and just add about 1/8 C Italian seasoning.
1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1/2 Lbs Spaghetti, broken in half - I sometimes leave the noodles out...depending on my mood.
1/2 C Fresh Chopped Basil

Preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat.  Add oil and veggies and saute for 5 minutes or so.  Add tomato sauce and chicken stock and cover pot.  Turn up the heat and bring to a rapid boil.

While soup comes to a boil, mix meat, cheese, breadcrumbs, egg and parsley.  Roll into 2 inch balls.  Remove lid and slide meatballs into the stoup.  Bring back to a boil and add spaghetti noodles.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes more, until the noodles are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.  Stir in basil and remove stoup from the stove.  Serve with crusty garlic bread and side salad.  Yum-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment